My kitchen had multiple layers of flooring. Woot! One vinyl layer from the 80’s and another tongue and groove laminate from the 90’s.
Kitchen Floor Layers
Pulling all of the layers out was fairly easy until we got to the edges where the cabinets were installed over the top of the flooring from the 80’s. The boys helped a bit, too!
Kitchen Floor StrugglesIMG_2045
During this first bit of demo, I managed to shred my finger while tugging. The flooring finally came loose and my finger slid along the sub-floor. Fannnntastic.
***Yucky-gross-thing #1 of many. Bandaids were added as a side note on my to-do list.***
Buckle up folks, I’m moving fast through the demolition phase!
Here is a picture of me sawing off the L-shaped countertop. Do you see how it was blocking the cabinet and the drawer? I’m sure it was amazing for additional counter space back in the day, but I am going to be building a kitchen island and this fanciness will not be needed.
Kitchen Counter Kitchen Counter Sawed
This is the day that I also made my first dent in removing the wall that divided the kitchen and the living space. That first hit was so exciting! I finally felt as if I was doing something that was going to drastically change this house. The wall had a kitchen light switch, a dining room light switch, a phone line, 2 outlets, an air exchange and a hidden gem…
Half Wall
I was not pleasantly surprised by the big silver pipe. My initial thought was that I would just cut it out and cap it off myself. After speaking with others and doing an internet search, I realized it may be for the furnace exhaust. Jason was over and tracked it back to my hot water heater. I thought that sounded a lot less expensive to reroute and did a little investigating on whether I could do the work on my own. I learned that there are 2 different types of venting for water heaters. Some need to go up through the roof (the older models) and some are vented out the side of the house (the newer models). There are also rules on how many elbow joints you can put on a pipe like that to stay up to code standards. So, elbowing my pipe over about 4 feet to the left and hiding it in a column turned out to be breaking code standards.  After all of my homework, it was clear that I was not going to be able to do this work on my own and that I was likely going to need to purchase a newer hot water heater – if I wanted this silver removed. I had a HVAC guy come over, he told me exactly what I’d expected to hear. It was $1350 to have a new water heater installed and he was able to have it done the next day. On the plus side, the water heater that was removed was 13-years-old and was likely going to need to be replaced in the coming months or years anyway. This first doozie didn’t max my reno budget, but it did make me rethink and reprioritize some of the other plans I’d had.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: