Closing Day was just a little over a month ago, on December 15, 2015. We signed exactly one million papers and then I was given a gold key and a brown, wood-grain garage door opener…kind of.
Things didn’t go as smoothly as we had planned. There is a shed (pool house) that is built in the easement and it hadn’t been discovered until we were about to sign the final papers. Because of this, we were put in a separate room from the sellers and we started discussing our options. One option was to not purchase the house. After leaving the title company, we still hadn’t signed that final piece of paper that would make the house mine, but I did have the keys and the garage door opener. 11616…:)
I was hoping for indemnification, meaning, the shed would be insurable. I waited throughout the day to hear whether the sellers would be able to find the paperwork from when they had purchased the house. Specifically, I waited to see if my shed could be grandfathered in so that if it ever needed to be moved, it would be covered by insurance vs. paid for out of my own pocket. Another concern was resale value. When I sell the house (for a profit), I would have liked to have been able to say that the shed was insurable, especially since it houses all of the pool mechanics.
Honestly though, no matter what the outcome of the shed was in the easement, there was no way that I wasn’t buying the house. My boxes were packed, my mind was set and my Pinterest boards were filled with all of the DIY ideas that I was beyond antsy to get started.
After the closing (that wasn’t quite a closing) I decided to go straight to the house. I didn’t know exactly what I was going to do once I was there, but I had to go. I’d never been in the house without the realtor before. As I stood in the kitchen and looked around I was thinking, “this house is perfect and awful all at the same time.”
I don’t remember exactly how it all started, but a few moments after standing in the kitchen looking around, I was pulling up carpet and removing the kitchen cabinet doors (I kept my power drill with me at all times). I’d even forgotten to take before pictures until after I’d ripped up carpet in the dining room, removed a few cabinet doors, pulled out the appliances and peeled off the stick-on “backsplash.”
After the little bit of work that I’d done, I also posed for a selfie. 😀
The result of the shed: not indemnified.
Final papers: signed the following day via email.